From Miranda IM - Wiki
By default Miranda doesn't come with any sounds, however it's very easy to set them up. Just follow these steps.
- Download a sound pack from the File listing.
- Extract it into Sounds folder. You can create one if it does not exist.
- Navigate to the Options->Customize->Sounds page.
- Place a tick in the sound you would like to hear, hilight the event and click the "Change" button to assign a sound.
- Use the "Preview" button to hear the selected sound.
- If you configured everything correctly but can't hear any sounds, you have to reset the "UseSound" value in database following these steps:
- Download and install the Database Editor++ plugin.
- Open main menu and choose "Database Edtior++".
- Navigate to Settings->Skin and delete the "Skin" module.