Facebook Chat is the instant messaging system for the Facebook social network site. It can be used with the XMPP (Jabber) protocol, which is a core protocol. Jabber connection supports only chat and moving friends into other groups.
If you want more features like rename friends, make other changes to friends or groups, on mobile status, groupchats support, post status messages and getting news feeds and notifications, and notification about who deleted you from his contact list you need to use Facebook RM plugin.
Connecting to Facebook Chat
Connecting with Jabber plugin is very easy. All settings will be configured automatically.
- Create a Jabber account.
- Select "Facebook Chat" as the account type.
- Fill in your Facebook username (not e-mail address!) and password.
- You are now ready to go online.
- The roster (server-side contact list) is read-only. You can't add or rename friends or make other changes to friends. The friends list from your Facebook account will override any such changes the next time you connect. Make changes to friends on the Facebook website via the Account->Edit Friends option.
- If you have any problems, you can visit the Facebook Chat Helpsite->Other. If Facebook needs any information you will see a messagebox describing the problem. You need a) a username and b) a verified Facebook account.
- The description on the above site contains a mistake: you must enter your username in lower case.
- Don't use SSL or TLS.
- Some users report that they only see contact names with the format email@example.com. The reason for this is unknown.
- If you don't see messages from one group, open the website chat on the Facebook site, open the friend list setting within this chat and make sure the group is enabled for chat.
- The Facebook Jabber server does not implement any jabber services and it has other limitations as well.